Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hanging Out with Goo-Goo Xuan

 Goo-Goo (Auntie) Xuan (pronounced chun) and her boyfriend Dan, moved to a new apt in Queen Anne. They were having trouble installing a lamp that Dan made from a tree stump, so big brother (AKA, my husband) planned for us to come over so that he could take a look. Xuan had to work late, so we headed over there at 8pm on Saturday. This was a special treat for our girls because a) they got to visit with their Auntie and see her new apt and b) they got to stay up super late.

Check out the book shelves at her new apt. I'm super jealous!
 
 He was so determined! He spent over 2 hours drilling and using wires to get that lamp up!

While he worked on that, us girls chatted and grubbed on the yummy spread of avocado dip and cucumber sandwiches.
 Emma passed out on their couch while Daddy was banging and drilling right next to her! We have decided that she takes after her Goo-Goo Linh in the sleeping dept. They can both pass out and nap anywhere!


Dao finally got the lamp hung by stringing some heavy duty wire through the metal plates in the ceiling. I wish I got a better picture of the lamp. Apparently Dan pulled the stump out of someones yard, and creatively made it into a lamp. It is really beautiful.


Xuan got this amazing bouquet at the World Market down the street, and I had to take a picture of it.
Does anyone know the name of this type of flower? Anyone??? I am super curious...

On Tuesday, Pay, her buddy Dev, and I met up with Xuan and Dan to go to the Pacific Science center together. Xuan called me from the entrance to say that it's closed on Tuesdays! What?! Why the heck would they close it on Tuesdays??
Luckily, Sheree (Mom of Dev) has a family membership at the Seattle Children's Museum nearby, so we headed there instead. The kids (All 4 of them!) spent hours in the art center!

Xuan and Dan got right in there with them, cutting, gluing, stapling (Once Xuan figured out that a stapler had been in front of her the entire time! ha!), and coloring. It was fun for me to sit back and watch and take pictures.

     Xuan and Pay made the cutest little "girl" out of tubes, feathers, cardboard and cloth.

Dan and Dev made a crazy mask out of all kinds of things. From tape and yarn, to egg cartons and clothing material. Dev also made a "bottle gun" that he was super proud of (I did not know that it was meant to be a gun until we got in the car, sorry Sheree!). Most of the materials used were from recycled products, and they had all kinds of things to choose from. Next time I am going to bring a big bag to take home all of the art stuff that they make!


Thanks so much Dan and Xuan for hanging with us! We had so much fun! We promise to take you to the Science Center next time. Apparently not on  Tuesday's though!

2 comments:

Sheree said...

it was so awesome that you took dev! he had a blast with [uncle] dan and xuan...i still laugh when i think of him saying that this [uncle] dan is WAY funnier than his uncle dan! hahah!

xuan's spread and apartment were all so cute. she looks like she LOVED having you all over! what a special treat for the girls and dan and xuan. :) can't wait to check it out monday. :)

Xuan said...

I was here. I saw some of these pictures on Myface. I am so confused with this esocialnetworking stuff. Sorry. I still prefer the archaic medium of telecommunications... But your blog is badass Denise. Thank you for sharing your photos and humorous commentary. I will frequent more often. Dan is much more up to date with your blog, just to let you know. I was just trying to show you and he's all, "I know what's going on. I told you about that already."