Friday, February 12, 2010

Beginning Band with the Flute

Our oldest has had piano lessons for about 5 years. Last year she decided that she was done with the piano (right around exam time, imagine that!) and didn't really like her piano teacher. Believe me, we tried to be the mean parents and make her stick it out. But, man that is draining on both us and her, so after nearly a year of complaining, our hands went in the air and we let her quit. It was a sad day for us, because after talking to many people who had piano lessons as kids, they always say that they wish their parents didn't let them quit. I have to say, I feel for the parents, it's really hard work to nag, and threaten, and be the bad guy.

 Anyway, when school started this year, she decided she wanted to play the flute. Of course we were thrilled! I think the best thing about this is that it has sparked her interest in music and the piano again. In November, she announced she wanted to join the schools jazz band as a pianist! Last week she informed us she was ready to start piano lessons again (with a different teacher, of course)! Her first Flute performance with the beginning band was a success, and we were so happy to be able to see her enjoy this part of her life again!

 Her Grandma, Daddy, her sisters and I all came to watch her in her first flute performance. The G6 were there too, cuz their oldest is in beginning orchestra and it was her first violin performance! Our families were on opposite ends of the gym, because orchestra was on one side, and band on the other. This did not stop the kids from being together though! Madi (youngest of G6) was so cute! Once she saw us, she spent the entire time dancing back and forth from her Mommy to me across the gym. Pay danced with her a bit, and then tried to take her back to her Mommy.

She would walk her back and then come back thinking she had been the big helper and gotten Madi back to her Mommy. Then a few minutes later, Madi would come right back. It was really cute!


 Of course these two were inseparable the entire time! They are always so happy to spend time together!

I think one of the coolest things about this "concert" is that they also had the middle school band and orchestra perform, so us parents could see what a little time and a lot of practice can do. The middle schoolers were impressive. At our school, the music program can begin in 4th grade, so by the time they hit middle school they have had over 3 years of practice and experience. That means by high school, they could be in Advance band. I'm thinking this should give them an edge for college scholarships!

Haha! I'm always trying to talk to my kids about scholarships and about how great our local university's are. I want them to stay close to me,  not move across country and meet their hubby and then move out there with them...... 
 
Oh! Sorry! I get all worked up when I think about it! I want them (and my grand babies) to stay close to me!

4 comments:

Sheree said...

i just can't believe teeny haley is going to enter middle school next year. you should post pictures of her as the tiny petite thing she was.

she has proven over and over her strength and it's been such a blast watching her grow up.

it's always sad to think about college and marriage...but man, i think time is going to fly by so fast. i felt like after madison was potty trained i blinked and she has sprouted more words and more conversation. :( where DOES the friggin' time go?

i'm glad we recognize this as parents and i think we do a good job of ENJOYING the little tikes.

chefamily said...

Your right, where does the time go??
I should pull out some old pics!
I love your posts that show how the kids have grown. I always get all choked up reading them!

Sheree said...

especially since you guys figured out the scanner - didn't it take like all of us to try to figure that scanner out? LOL!

Haley said...

well,l my piano teacher was MMMEEEAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!